Mexican Cheesy Chicken Bake
In a blink of an eye, another school year has come and gone. Both of our boys finished school today, 1st and 7th grade, and I couldn’t be prouder of them. It seems like just yesterday, they were little babies and I can’t believe how quickly the years have passed. Do you ever feel nostalgic like that this time of year or is it just me? I am so happy for all they accomplished and how much they grew this year, but for whatever reason, I get a little sad thinking about it. To me, it means another day closer to them “growing up”. I simply enjoy every minute of being a dad and I love that my sons still look to me (more than Google!) for answers, for love and encouragement, advice, and I hope that lasts into their adulthood.
So to pick up my mood, I decided to make something simple and comforting to eat tonight. Of the many joys and blessings in life, there’s always room for good Mexican food, right? Especially when it is a quick & easy dish like this Mexican Cheesy Chicken Bake. This one did not disappoint at all. How could it? Check out these ingredients – shredded rotisserie chicken, Salsa Verde Doritos (the perfect choice), white beans, Mexican rice, topped with cheese, some tomatoes and cilantro. And all done in less than 20 minutes.
I came home from a board meeting tonight and couldn’t wait to dig into this again for seconds. However, all that was left was an empty dish, completely wiped clean of all its yumminess. That made me smile, knowing that it brought a little more joy to everyone else here tonight too.
Now it’s time to make some awesome summer memories with our three boys. Can’t wait.
Mexican Cheesy Chicken Bake
By Matt Robinson Published:
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Ready In:
In a blink of an eye, another school year has come and gone. Both of our boys finished school today, 1st and 7th grade, and I couldn't …
- 1 1/2 lbs. rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cups prepared Mexican rice
- 2 15oz. can white beans (or black beans, pintos beans or a combination)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons diced green chili
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 12 oz. Doritos Salsa Verde Chips (or restaurant style tortilla chips)
- 3 cups pepper Jack, cheddar, or a combination
- • Optional: cilantro, chopped tomatos, sour cream and lime for serving
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Shred rotisserie chicken into a bowl, then stir in rice; set aside. Place chicken broth and beans in a saucepan and cook until heated through. Stir in green chilies, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse until mixture is pureed. Alternately, you can use a potato masher and mash bean mixture until smooth.
- Spread half of chips into casserole pan. Layer with half the bean mixture, half the chicken and rice mixture and half the cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake until cheese melts, about 5-7 minutes. Serve with cilantro, fresh chopped tomatoes.
- **NOTES** (1) To shortcut this recipe you can replace the spices with 1-2 tablespoon of your preferred enchilada seasoning. (2) Use any beans you prefer. I like white beans for their mild taste and creaminess.
- Skill Level: Easy