**This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Knorr Selects
Back-to-school is in full swing around here. Alarm clocks have been set to 6:30am, school lunches are prepped the night before and I’m back to tripping over backpacks. Can someone please explain to me why kids can’t put their backpacks away in the designated spot? I’ve tried everything to help them remember—gentle reminders, takeaways, incentives—nothing works. They remember for a day or two then it’s right back to catching myself from a fall or stubbing my toe.
While I can’t figure out the backpack situation, I’ve been able to nail the after-school snacks. My boys love snacks like these rice cakes that are made with Knorr Selects Roasted Garlic Alfredo Rice and I love that they are so easy to make. Simply prepare the rice according to the package instructions, which takes all but 10 minutes, then let it cool to room temperature, give it quick mix, roll, and pan fry—annnnnd done!
My boys are crazy about these! If they had it all their way, they would skip the roasted cauliflower and raspberries and eat nothing but the rice cakes. But fruit and veggies are a necessary thing, so the cauliflower, arugula and raspberries stay.
I do however waffle when it comes to dinner and they want to put these rice cakes on repeat. I’ve made this enough times to know that I always make a double batch and serve the dinner portion with a smoothie. I can feel good about serving Knorr Selects to my kids because their products are made without any artificial flavors or preservatives, and are gluten-free. Each flavor takes less than twenty minutes to make from start to finish, making them highly convenient for busy parents. The faster they are fed, the faster we can get to homework. And there is plenty of that as each boy’s homework time grows by 20 minutes with each advancing grade.
Now the only thing I still need to figure out is how to fix this backpack situation without having to resort to wearing steel-toed boots to protect my toes.
- 1 Knorr Selects Roasted Garlic Alfredo
- 4 large eggs, divided use
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Cook Knorr Selects Roasted Garlic Alfredo according to package instructions. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Lightly beat one egg until well combined. Mix beaten egg into rice.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together panko crumbs and parsley. In a second shallow bowl, add the flour. In a third shallow bowl, add the remaining three eggs and beat lightly.
- Using an ice scream scoop or a spoon, create a 2-inch ball and then flatten it into a ½ inch thick disc. Dredge the rice cake in the flour first, followed by the egg, and then lastly in the panko mixture, making sure to coat the rice cake evenly. Place rice cake on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue until all rice cakes are formed.
- Add the oil to a 10-inch skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add rice cakes to hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook just until each side is golden brown Transfer the rice cakes to a paper towel lined plate.
- *Optional: Serve rice cakes with roasted cauliflower and arugula.