It’s not often that I depart from fried eggs for breakfast but last week the boys had a muffin request and this is what happened: Morning Glory Muffins that are kid approved. Who am I to deny them them a “veggie” muffin?
You can’t argue that, right? I mean, look closely and you’ll see: carrots, coconut, raisins, nuts — all kinds of good stuff through out.
That is unless you are a picky-eating toddler, who ate all around the raisins. I’m hoping that I don’t have a second picky eater. My first one is not just picky, he’s extremely picky and I’m sure I did all the wrongs things in an effort to divert it. If anyone has any suggestions for picky eaters, I would love to hear them in the comments. And before you ask—yes, he’s picky beyond just the raisins in these muffins, that is just a small sampling. And a reminder to nix the raisins in these “veggie” muffins next time.
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup orange juice
- **Recipe adapted from King Arthur: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/morning-glory-muffins-recipe **
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper and lightly spray the insides of the papers with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak while the rest of recipe is assembled.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and orange juice. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened. Drain the raisins and stir them in.
- Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan (wells will be nearly full).
- Bake the muffins for 25 to 28 minutes, until domed and a cake tester inserted in the center of one of the inner muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, transfer pan to a wire rack. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove muffins from pan.