I know everyone loves a good, classic recipe, but let’s punch things up for a modern spin on traditional chilaquiles. I took a few liberties, to start: (1) I left a few of my tortillas crunchy, because I like the textural contrast (2) I threw in some roasted acorn squash for a winter spin and (3) my favorite part, I swapped out chicken eggs for JUST Egg. JUST Egg is plant-based, made with mung bean and you would never know it!
JUST Egg tastes—just like eggs—the mung bean scrambles and cooks like eggs and turmeric gives JUST Egg a natural golden color. It’s protein-packed and free of cholesterol, dairy, gluten and artificial flavoring. It’s also perfect for people who have egg allergies and can’t consume chicken eggs. This is especially true for kids today, as egg allergens are increasingly more common. Another cool fact? JUST Egg’s ingredients are more sustainable than conventional chicken eggs in terms of water saved and greenhouse gas avoided in the production process.
My kids are big fans of chilaquiles, so I’m always looking for ways to give it a twist and make it both kid and parent friendly. For myself and Naomi, I garnish with fresh jalapenos for an added kick. If you have any ideas for fun twists, leave them in the comments section.
Now go get yourself some JUST Egg and try this delicious, nutritious plant-based product for yourself. To bring JUST Egg to your local grocery retailer, and for updates on where to find check out justforall.com
- 1 acorn squash, sliced and roasted
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 1 16 oz. jar medium salsa
- 1 pound tomatoes, quartered
- 4 chipotle in adobo, plus 1 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1 full bottle of JUST Egg (6 eggs)
- 1/2 cup grated pepper jack
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red jalapeños, sliced
- 2 tablespoon serrano peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup small cilantro sprigs
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees
- On a baking sheet or in an oven proof pan, place a layer of tortillas chips on the bottom; set aside.
- In a blender add the salsa, tomatoes, chipotle and adobo sauce and process until pureed; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the 1 tbsp. oil over medium. Pour in JUST Egg and cook like you would traditional scrambled eggs--cook until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes.
- To assemble pour sauce over chips, layer with acorn squash, sprinkle cheese on top. Transfer to the oven and broil on high just until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and layer with JUST Egg. Top with green onions, red jalapeños, serrano peppers and cilantro. Serve immediately.