I tell my wife the same thing every Easter – boy are our boys lucky. Easter has somehow morphed into a little mini-Christmas here, and we wouldn’t have it any other way. We go a little overboard and fill their baskets with awesome presents and candy and they love the hunt for the additional eggs filled with money and lottery tickets. Traditions are very important to us, and they seem to get bigger and better every year. Just like our little family.
The idea for this Ultimate Rice Krispie Treat came from me snagging one of their Twix bars (sorry Cole) from their baskets this morning. It is a family favorite and I immediately told Naomi, “I’ve never made a Rice Krispie treat before but I’ve got an awesome idea. I need your recipe!”. She eventually gave in once things calmed down a little.
So after getting back from my sister’s Easter party today, I got to work. I figured this one has been done a thousand times, so my idea was to take it a step further, taking it from good to great, by grinding up some pretzels and mixing them in with the rest of the ingredients, to give these Ultimate Rice Krispie Treats a little added salty kick, to go along with the caramel and chocolate layers.
The results? They turned out incredible, and sadly, at least for me tomorrow, they are gone. That’s what happens when you’ve got hungry boys and a pregnant wife. Wouldn’t have that any other way either.
Ultimate Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
By April 20, 2014Published:
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep: 20 minutes mins
I tell my wife the same thing every Easter - boy are our boys lucky. Easter has somehow morphed into a little mini-Christmas here, and …
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 oz. pretzels, finely crushed (about 1 cup or 20 Rolds Gold brand pretzels)
- 1 11oz. bag caramel bist
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 10 oz. chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 5.5 cups Rice Krispies
- Line a 9x9 pan with foil, leaving an overhang of 1 inch on each side. Place butter and mini marshmallows in a pan over medium low heat, stir until fully melted. Mix in vanilla and crushed pretzels, stir to combine. Mix and stir in Rice Krispie cereal until well combined. Press mixture into prepared pan. Set aside.
- Place Kraft caramel bits and milk in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1-2 minutes (or until melted and smooth) in 30-second bursts, stirring in between. Pour mixture over Rice Krispie. Set aside to cool.
- Place chocolate and shortening in in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1-2 minutes (or until melted and smooth) in 30-second bursts, stirring in between. Pour mixture over caramel. Set aside to cool. *Optional: Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Skill Level: Easy