What do you do when half of your family wants pizza for dinner and the other half wants tacos? You give them both, in this all-in-one mash-up Taco Pizza!
Lucky for me, it was a huge hit—love it when that happens! It was especially so with my bird-like eating boy Cole, who had more than two slices. Generally, leftovers are a scarce thing, but at the end of this dinner there was one piece left over and I nabbed it for my next day’s breakfast and cracked an egg on top of it.
So other than being able to pull double-duty for dinner and breakfast, the best part of this pizza is that it takes less than 30 minutes to pull together. Make your dough, roll it out, spread refried beans on top, then start layering it with meat, cheese, olives, tomatoes and serve it with shredded lettuce and some fire roasted salsa.
Of course this is how my picky palate likes it, but you stack your Taco Pizza according to your taco taste. And next time I make this, I’ll be stacking mine with grilled carne asada.
By July 15, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
What do you do when half of your family wants pizza for dinner and the other half wants tacos? You give them both, in this all-in-one …
- 1 pizza crust (recipe here: https://realfoodbydad.com/homemade-bbq-chicken-pizza-2/ )
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (store bought or homemade)
- 3/4 cup refried beans
- 1 large roma tomato
- 1/3 cup sliced olives
- 2 cups Mexican cheese
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- fire roasted salsa (or your preferred kind and sour cream for serving
- Preparation: Heat oven to 500 degrees F. Place pizza stone on lower middle rack. Lightly grease a sheet of parchment paper with olive oil. Transfer ball of dough to parchment. Stretch out dough by hand as much as possible, then lightly brush with olive oil, cover with another piece of parchment. Use a rolling pin and work from the middle of the dough outward to flatten dough to ¼ inch thickness. Peel off top parchment paper. (Note: Dough can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to three days.)
- Place beef in a skillet and sprinkle taco seasoning on top. Stir over medium high heat until browned and fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Spread refried beans on the crust, layer with ground beef, tomatoes, olives and cheese. Slide the pizza (with the parchment underneath) on to the hot pizza stone. Bake for 3-5 minutes until pizza crust starts to turn golden. Rotate the pizza once and remove parchment, Allow pizza to cool slightly before sprinkling on shredded lettuce. Serve with preferred salsa and sour cream.
- Skill Level: Easy