I know the DIY version of Taco Bell’s Crunchwrap Supreme has been making the rounds through the internet lately, so I thought I’d give it a go for the boys with an ultimate breakfast spin.
Timing-wise it worked out well since back-to-school is this week and I figured something new would be a good way to start an exciting new year. Something that my boys always tell me I’m over-hyping because . . . “school is school”. Okay, that might be true, but it’s not stopping me from starting off the school year with a bang, and by bang I mean these Breakfast Crunchwrap Supremes, smoothies and an after school treat that I’ll be sharing later this week.
I made mine the size for little hands, but go ahead and make yours with large to extra large tortillas so you can go big on the filling. From there you can go crazy with all kinds of filings. Stay tuned, because I’ll be doing just that as I’m on a crunchwrap run.
- 8 tortillas
- 8 crunchy tostadas (homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup cooked chorizo, crumbled
- 2 cups hash browns
- 2 cups scrambled eggs
- 2 cups Mexican cheese
- In a large bowl, fold together chorizo, hash browns and scrambled eggs. Set aside.
- Place a tortilla on a work surface and stamp out a 5-inch circle in the center and set it aside. Place a second tortilla down on a work surface and at the center, working with a 5-inch diameter, assemble and layer the hash brown, scrambled egg mixture, cheese and a tostada (breaking the tostada up as needed to fit in the 5 inch diameter). Place the stamped-out tortilla on top. Fold the edges of the bottom tortilla towards the center. Flip the crunch wrap seam side down and gently press down on it so the folded seams will be creased. Repeat with tortillas and filling.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a 10-inch skillet. Place a crunch wrap, seam-side down, into the pan. Cook until until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side.