Yeah, I know, salad. But at least it’s one that’s full of goodies. And after all it’s January, so I know many of you are doing detox, roll-backs, restarts, resets . . . dare I say diets? Many of you know I don’t believe in diets. It’s all about moderation to me.
So consider this our healthy dish to balance the onset of calorie pumped foods for next week. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Back to this salad. It’s fresh, crisp and full of healthy stuff. And meatless. Meatless? Yeah, I know – whaaat? It happens. Not often but sometimes that’s what the family wants and I give in. My little guy Cole is not a huge meat eater, he loves salads and fruit. I consider myself lucky for that, because my other guy is a picky eater like me and our palates are just a little harder to please.
I don’t do salads much, but when I do I like ones like this, built on a romaine lettuce and full of texture and crunch. I omitted the meat this time around, but if you need a protein pump, just add some grilled chicken. Either way you go—meatless or not—you’ll love this salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, cut into strips
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, about one lime
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Toss all ingredients in large salad bowl.
- To make dressing: Place cilantro, vinegar, lime zest, lime juice, yogurt and honey in a blender and process until smooth. With the blender still running, drizzle in olive oil and process until thick and creamy. Drizzle finished dressing over salad.