The countdown to Halloween is on, only a couple days to go, so I thought it’s now or never for a Halloween post. And hey, I even switched up the white background for the occasion.
This is as Halloween-y as I get. If it was up to Cole, he would dress me up in a costume.
In fact he’s been dressing his little brother up in his Batman costume for the last two weeks wherever we go. He’s also been begging me to put up all of the Halloween decorations. Admittedly, this year I’ve been busier than usual and so has Naomi, so we’ve fallen behind in that department. This last weekend I pulled some things out of the garage to surprise him, and he gave the thumbs down “Cheap. Not even scary, Dad”.
He was right. Which means, I’ll have to pull out the tall ladder to get the “real” Halloween stuff. So much for cutting corners.
At least, I didn’t cut corners when it comes to these shots. You won’t have to either, because they are extremely easy to make. they just take a little time. To get started I used grape, melon and peach – yes, peach not orange. I don’t like orange Jell-o, it reminds of hospital food. Ugh. I’ve got way too much experience in that department. The white is sweetened condensed milk and to make this boozy, I used Vodka.
As I mentioned, these take some time, so here are a few things you can do to speed things up: (1) clear a shelf in your freezer (2) freeze your mini muffin pan prior to starting, the chilled pan will speed up the process.
Alright, ready? Let’s get started.
- 1 3 oz. grape Jell-o (prepared according to fast set box instructions)
- 1 3 oz. peach Jell-o (prepared according to fast set box instructions)
- 1 3 oz. melon Jell-o (prepared according to fast set box instructions)
- 1 14oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 2½ cups water
- 6 packets Knorr Gelatin Packets
- 2½ cups vodka, divided use
- Makes approximately 36 Jell-o shots
- Preparation: Lightly spray mini muffin wells with non-stick spray. Wipe off excess (only a light coat is needed.)
- Pour water into a 9 inch pie pan and sprinkle gelatin on top and allow to bloom for 3-4 minutes. Pour bloomed mixture into a saucepan over low heat. Stir mixture constantly until gelatin dissolves (mixture should resemble syrup with no visible granules); set a side.
- Prepare grape, peach, and melon Jell-O according to “fast set” instructions. Add in vodka and stir to combine.
- Measure out 1 cup of gelatin mixture and pour that into the sweetened condensed milk. Measure out 1½ cups into three ½ cup portions and pour one ½ cup into the grape Jell-o, another ½ cup into the peach Jell-o and the remaining ½ cup into the melon Jell-o; stir to combine.
- Note: For the mini muffin pans use one teaspoon for each layer. For a regular sized muffin pans use one tablespoon for each layer. Keep in mind that each subsequent layer will need less time to chill and set.
- Remove chilled pan from freezer. Measure and pour out 1 teaspoon or tablespoon of Jell-O into wells. Transfer to the freezer and chill for about 3 minutes to set. Remove the pan from the freezer. Measure and pour one teaspoon or tablespoon sweetened condensed milk and transfer to freezer and chill for about 3 minutes to set.
- Remove pan from freezer and repeat layers until wells are filled.
- To remove:
- Gently press finger into Jello shots and pull it towards the center away from the walls. Use a finger from your other hand to leverage out the Jello shot.