How do you cheer up a 7 year old boy whose all star baseball team got whooped in their tournament this weekend? Well, in addition to the usual “dad” words of wisdom – you did your best, you had an awesome attitude, it’s not always about winning, you’re a great teammate, etc., I decided the best pick-me-up would be through his little belly, with this Epic Sundae.
The longer you are a parent, the more little tricks you pick up, right? And with each child, you become a better parent. At least that is definitely the case for me. So learning what works and what doesn’t work, and when, is something that is extremely helpful when dealing with a child who is experiencing some emotions, good or bad. And food is sometimes all it takes, especially a yummy, easy-to-make dessert like this sundae.
I figured I couldn’t go wrong with this and knew his mood would change in an instant the second he stuck the spoon in his mouth. It totally worked. I made sure it was simple and fun. We all know there are many ways to build a sundae, but for this one, I layered it with some brownies, peanut butter ice cream (yum!), chopped salted caramel peanuts (ridiculously YUM!), hot fudge sauce, some whipped cream, and Cole’s favorite – a cherry on top.
And watching Cole devour this with a face covered in ice cream and fudge, I couldn’t help but smile. Moments like that are the little ones I always cherish and remember. Plus, I got to use my torch.
By Matt Robinson Published:
- Yield: 1 Servings
How do you cheer up a 7 year old boy whose all star baseball team got whooped in their tournament this weekend? Well, in addition to …
- 1 small slice of brownie or chocolate cake
- 2 oz. scoop peanut butter ice cream
- 1 tablespoon fudge sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 7-10 mini mini marshmallows, toasted
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherry
- Cut brownie or chocolate cake to fit into bottom of glass. Sprinkle chopped peanuts and toasted marshmallow on top and then layer with ice cream, fudge sauce, whipped cream. Finish with another piece of brownie or cake, more chopped peanuts and a maraschino cherry.
- **NOTES** (1) To toast marshmallows, place them on a clean bakesheet and use a kitchen torch to toast or place it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until marshmallows are golden brown.